Together we inspire one another to love learn respect and Forgive, rooted and built up in Christ, so that every member of our school community can develop and flourish; united in mutual respect with a sense of belonging.
Intent of the teaching and learning of Maths
Our intent is to enable children to fearlessly apply an investigative approach to maths learning. This focuses on developing a growth-mindset which promotes self-belief and positivity, enjoyment, efficient number sense (fluency) and the understanding of concepts and structures.
Implementation of the teaching and learning of Maths
We use the White Rose scheme of work, alongside the Ready to Progress documents to support the teaching of the 2014 National Curriculum for Maths.
The National Curriculum for Mathematics aims to ensure that all pupils:
· become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
· reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
· can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
Teaching Maths for Mastery
Our summary of mastery is:
· Evidence based approach to teaching maths.
· Help pupils develop and deep, long term and adaptable understanding.
· Inclusive approach where all children achieve.
· Greater progress.
· Keeping the whole class together.
· Concentrating on pupils’ thinking as well as doing.
· Anticipating difficult points and misconceptions.
· Planning questioning carefully.
· Developing the use of mathematical vocabulary as a focus point.
· Promoting discussions between pupils to empower their ability to discover the mathematical concepts and structures behind problems.
Our key principle is to encourage belief that all can achieve.
We use White Rose Maths and Development Matters to provide frequent and varied opportunities for children to build and apply mathematical understanding. By using this approach children will develop a secure base of knowledge and vocabulary from which mastery of mathematics is built.
Impact of the teaching and learning of Maths
Through our implementation we aim to develop fearless, fluent, confident mathematicians who enjoy challenge and are ready to progress.